Thursday 24 January 2013

Home networking explained

There is a mysterious wireless dead spot in our home network that just happens to be in the same space as the bed where I sit, so I've been looking into ways to improve this state of affairs. This three part tutorial on CNet seems pretty good, so I thought I'd share it here for posterity:

Part1 introduces the basics of home networking, explaining terms like 'router' and 'access point' and covers the types of wireless available, and the relatively new method of networking through your power socket.

Part 2 goes into more detail on wireless - how to set up a network with good security and how to extend your network's range.

Part 3 gets hardcore, with instructions on how to make your own Ethernet cable and wall sockets. Now that would be fine to try some day.

If you're looking for network tips, I hope these help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis