Wednesday 28 March 2012

Our God is a humble God

Hi! It's been a while since I posted anything on here. I've been rather busy, frankly, blogging seems to fall fairly far down my list of priorities. I think in the time since I posted anything more than a video of drumming child quite a bit's happened. Namely, I moved to Singapore to start a PhD, and I got engaged.

Ok, enough about my life.

This year, I've started following the For The Love Of God blog on the Gospel Coalition website as my daily Bible reading. It's basically a daily blog that is made up of that day's entry from the book of the same title by Don Carson. You read four chapters, there's a short bit by The Don on one of the chapters, and you get through the whole Bible in a year. I confess I haven't kept up perfectly, but it's quite encouraging to get through so much in a short space of time.

Anyway, the point is, I was reading Philipians 2, and Don Carson comments that verse 6 is commonly interpreted as saying 'despite the fact that Jesus was God, He did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped...', which is quite correct. However, a better way to translate it from the Greek is apparently more along the lines of 'because He was in very nature God...'. In other words, it is not in spite of Jesus being God that He came to Earth as a man, but because that is God's very nature He humbled Himself to death, even the death of a Cross. Wow. That means that it is in God's very nature to do that. He is a God completely unlike any other God. That is the kind of God we worship. Indeed, that is the kind of God that is worthy of worship.


As a footnote, perhaps then it is not so surprising that the kingdom of God is described as so topsy-turvy (first will be last and the last first etc.), God has already set the pattern - the kingdom reflects what God Himself is like.


(Original article here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis